We are very pleased to be able report that after almost 3 years the Blue Bell Halkyn Post Office opened as a Post Office Local on Thursday 30th January 2014 at 11am.
The Blue Bell Inn's Post Office is unique in that it is the first in Wales that will provide daily services over a joint Post Office counter and bar (which will still see the usual beverages partaken after PO hours)!
We had our official opening by Rt Hon David Hanson MP at 2pm on Friday 7th March. We also had two special beers on too, one with Postie Paul and the other with the Post Office team who made it all happen for us.
We will be operating as a Post Office Local (services described on their website www.postoffice.co.uk). We will also be planning on selling a range of teapigs teas (currently 15 varieties), our own fresh ground 100% arabica artisan coffees from Flaming Bean and organic hot chocolate. We want to continue delivering our award-winning service so while we work through our learning curve, we will not be serving alcohol during weekday lunchtimes as we anticipate that these Post Office sessions will be the busiest, we'll review the practicalities of this over the coming weeks.
READ MORE for more information (opening hours, etc)...
Our opening hours will include the following, but we will always endeavour to help beyond them as practicality allows, you've only got to ask.
Monday 11am to 1pm and 3pm until 8pm (12 till 8pm Bank Holidays)
Wednesday 5pm until 8pm
Thursday 11am to 1pm and 3pm until 8pm
Friday 5pm until 8pm
Saturday 12noon until 8pm
Saturday 12noon until 8pm
We think that this is also a great place to thank the many local businesses, organisations and individuals who have helped make this happen and many thanks also to Pat and Eirwen at the Halkyn Mountain News who's invaluable service to the community is really appreciated. Needless to say we would thoroughly recommend using their services of all the following:
- Pete Corker (01352-781670 email@example.com) a fantastic joiner/builder from The Windmill who came to the rescue and built some fabulous bars and fitted our new wheelchair friendly bespoke doors and SDM Joinery (01352-758837 firstname.lastname@example.org) for making the doors.
- Kevin Warburton (iDeal Electrical 01352-713635 email@example.com. uk) who's Holywell based team of electricians did a great job of switching on the green lights.
- Steve Green (Halkyn Boiler Services 01352-720728 firstname.lastname@example.org) who'splumbers rerouted, plumbed and repaired. Steve also kindly donated the replacement radiators to keep folks warm in the bar over the winter!
- Jen Davis (01352-780798 email@example.com) an excellent painter/decorator who filled in the gaps and added some of colour!
- Jonathan Wilday (01352-780344 firstname.lastname@example.org) who's roofers made sure our roofs and gutters stopped the splashing in the downpour.
- Dave Facer (01352-781670 Dave@Facers.co.uk) for producing two surprise special brews to launch us.
- While Thwaites (www.thwaites.co.uk) are not exactly local, very many thanks should go to them for refitting the bar equipment and making sure cellar services continue to deliver our award winning beers and ciders.
- A big mention should also go to Sarah Sampson, Andy Mills, Sarah Blake and Sally Turner of the Post Office (PostOffice.co.uk) who pulled all the strings (after tying up all the packages), rang all the bells and blew all the whistles to make this happen! And not forgetting Paul our postie who's had ever increasing packages to deal with for us too.
This of course would not have happened without some financial support, advice and guidance, so very many thanks also go to Malcolm Harrison (Pub Is The Hub), Helen Roberts (Cadwyn Clwyd), the entire Halkyn Community Council (especially Clerk Phillip Parry), County Councillors Matt Wright and Colin Legg.
Do come and explore the new facility, ask questions about what we can do. We will be having a formal launch on Thursday March 6th as we expect to have ironed out all the cracks by then!
Steve & Ness Marquis